I get asked this quite a lot by friends who have just entered the wonderful world of lingerie. How do you wash your lingerie? or can I just throw it in the washing machine in a wash bag? I just want to clear the air, your lingerie is not something that is dirty and needs to be heavily washed to be clean, it is not in contact with anything other than the inside of your clothing..most of the time.
Lingerie washing can be daunting for some, I guess it’s more of an “I have no time” issue. So I want to share with you how I keep my pretties clean. Sure you can throw it in the washing machine in a wash bag. But why would you want to? Knowing how much you’ve just spent on it, or if you’re like me how long it took you to finally hunt down that piece to complete your set. This is where I get nerdy! I quite enjoy doing my hand washing, I’ve got the music playing and it gives me the time to really get a feel and look at all the intricate details up close. I find it therapeutic.
My laundry liquid of choice is Eucalan delicate wash and if you haven’t tried it I suggest you do. It’s a total time and water saver, it’s environmentally friendly and it keeps my lingerie smelling beautiful. Eucalan is a no-rinse washing liquid for delicate items, it comes in a selection of scents and an unscented one for sensitive skin. My personal favourite is Wrapture which is jasmine-scented, I love that it comes in a small 100ml bottle which is great for me as I travel often and can pick more up along the way. Usually, the 500ml bottle lasts me a year or almost, so it’s definitely worth the price. Single-use sizes are also available if you wanted to see which one you like best.
When washing your lingerie I have one simple rule which gets broken time and time again. Don’t let the lingerie pile up! Wash it weekly, that way you have enough for a handwashing pile but not too much that procrastination starts to kick in.
How I Wash My Pretties
- Add about a tablespoon of Eucalan to a bucket or sink. If you don’t have Eucalan or a no-rinse wash 1/2 a tablespoon of any wool wash or liquid detergent is fine.
- Fill with cold or lukewarm water (I usually use cold) and ensure the detergent is dissolved. Just make it bubbly!
- Fully submerge your lingerie into the water and give it a little swish
- Soak for 20 mins (colours may run if you soak too long)
- Gently rub your lingerie together, I usually rub the areas that are in contact with my skin the most (bra straps, underwires, band, gussets). If you have any stains try gently rubbing the area if it is on the gusset rub the cotton areas together to keep the lace from being damaged. If I have any stronger stains (period) I usually do a Napisan soak for a few hours.
- Squeeze out the excess water (don’t wring!) and hang on the line to drip dry. If I don’t have access to the outdoors I either hang my panties and stockings on a sock hanger (that circular thing with pegs) and hang it in the shower or over a towel. Another method I sometimes use is putting my lingerie inside a clean towel and squeeze. Then lay flat on a new towel to dry. Always remember to clip on the gusset or the thickest part of your garment.
I’ve heard of things like moulded cups being bent out of shape and to always lay your lingerie flat when drying to keep the shape but honestly I’ve never come across these issues. The way I take care of my pretties has always worked for me besides the few times I’ve forgotten I wash soaking items only to return and find my knickers turned pink from colour runs but hey I learnt my lesson and that’s why I say 20 minutes only!
I hope you’ve found this post helpful and if you have a different method of keeping your pretties clean please do share in the comments.
Till next time.
Kisses From The Moon